Friday, December 5, 2008

Snot Healthy

After almost a week of fever (up to 102), raw throat, headache, and a despicable cough that left me with a just a shred of my voice, it turns out I have a sinus infection. I'm now on 875mg Amoxycillan 2x a day for 10 days. And on high alert for any signs of thrush.

While I love to share with my little man, the last thing I wanted to do was give him this awfulness. But that's exactly what happened.

He now has the most pathetic little coughs and sniffles. His poo is forest green and his boogers resemble egg nog. He has to struggle to eat, since it takes mad skill and concentration to alternate breathing and gulping mommy's fire hose of a letdown. He's also been sleeping poorly at night, waking up to choke on his postnasal drip. And when he catches a glimpse of the Ginormous Nose Sucker out of the corner of his eye, he swats it away and grimaces in agony as I attempt to clear out the bats in the cave. Poor fella. My heart breaks to watch him suffer. Trust me - there's nothing worse than watching your sick baby's teary eyes stare at you, pleading for relief.

He also spiked several fevers, which eventually broke after we administered Tylenol. But I was so fearful watching the digital thermometer gradually increase to 101.3. I had visions of frying breakfast on his forehead. Or more realistically, waiting hours in a busy emergency room with wet washcloths and a fussy child.

After some deliberation, I took Nate to his 4-month appointment on Tuesday. We delayed the vax after his rectal temp revealed a fever of 100.8. But despite his case of the sickies, he was all smiles for the office staff and pediatrician. Little trooper was 16 lbs. even and 26.5 inches long. That puts him in 75th percentile for weight and 95th percentile for height. There's that smug smile of mine again, as I think how momma's milk made all those cute rolls possible. The doctor instructed me to use saline drops and Tylenol for his cold as needed but there were no other resolutions. It apparently just needs to run its course. She also said that due to his "excellent growth" (her words, not mine!), we should stick to our breastfeeding goal and suspend solids until 6 months.

My milk supply has taken a bit of a dive but I'm hoping that once the gunk is gone, it will adjust back to normal.

We've made it four months. What's 7 more weeks?

I'm feeling confident. Now if I can just heal miraculously overnight so we can visit Santa tomorrow...

8 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

gosh, I am so sorry to hear the ickies attacked you.

My supply just took a huge dump when i was sick.. It all just bounced back .. praying the same for you

Anonymous said...

That is a high temperature! Hope you get better soon. HUGS

Melissa said...

I hope you and Nate start to feel better soon - it's no fun being sick, especially with a fever that high!

Sounds like you're doing a terrific job with breastfeeding. Making it to six months is an amazing accomplishment!

RBandRC said...

UGH!!! I hope you both feel better soon! As someone who has had 3 colds in the last 5 weeks I can say that your milk will very likely rebound if you keep nursing and pumping and add some Fenugreek supplements once you start feeling better! :)

Courtney said...

Get better very, very soon! Despite the sickness floating around, your little one is growing so well. Way to go mom!!!

Katie said...

Oh, I am so sorry you are sick. And poor Nate, too! I am dreading Little Man's first cold. I just know I will crumble.

docgrumbles said...

wow, seems like everyone has been sick! Hope you get better!

Hilary (Maya Papaya) said...

oh honey, I'm so sorry you and the kiddo are sick!

hang in there! sending HEALTHY thoughts your way...